Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Spore Vs The Sims2

I recently bought a copy of Electronic Art's game Spore for PC. Yes I do use Windows and the reason of that is because I don't have a budget for a Mac and because if I had one I would only use it for less than its actual capacity. Spore caught my attention in 2006 when there was a huge hype around it: you can create life from the primal soup stagen, aka Abiogenesis.
The game looked to me sort of childish and very colorful, but until I finish the game I cannot make afinal statement of my experience, so I started to make my small cells which eventually developed into something bigger and from the water I switched to the mainland, then to a more organized state were tribalism and war were the main issue.
Spore has a date in years that begins since say ONE and you will eventually end up wondering the universe in the year 4 billion. It is a game of pure science, there is little room for screationism and religion, it is about you and the concept of survival of the fittest. Like Darwin said "It is not the strongest species that survive, nor the smartestbut the one that adapts better to change. ...".
Then i went back to playing The Sims 2 with my family and its troubles, where babies are born out of a stork or a magic FX and where you always strive to achieve the perfect family condition with a successful working father, a beautiful homemaker mother and two kids (usually a boy and a girl) that are the best students in school.
Through the years the gaming industry is letting those old concepts slide away in favour of newer ideas that appeals to the the public,  we ought to see The Sims 3 and all its load of new fun; bu my question still remains to where does faith or reason lies among videogame creators. 
Do you remember Black&White? That game where you play the part of a god that decides life and death of the population that you created? But isn't MAxis and EA Games all about craetionism and being God?
Like Sim City and al its sequeld, you decide the faith of a city and of its citizens, you can create and destroy with a few click of your mouse.
I had much fun choosing the destiny of my cells, from nothing to space invaders, my civilization became something I never thought, with the fun included of wiping other planets just for the sake of it!
Also when playing Civilization IV for PC, I do remember the excitement when first laying my capital and major cities while worring abou other civs expanding, a feeling of religion/science rushed into my head wondering which god would have taken my decision or if even this planet went through the same faith.
While I keep playing both game I can only understand my creations and my decision ad a virtual-god that gives life to a simulatied, yet real enough, civilization that will soon either defy the cult of continue to believe into science and theroies behind.

No comments: